Walk 3: A Place With Purpose
(Walks Through Wascana Centre -WCA Pamphlet 2005)
Wascana Centre Authority Pamphlet (2005)
The area around Wascana Lake has grown and developed phenomenally since the formation of Wascana Centre in 1962. The area covered in this walk, serves to remind us of our forefather’s vision and helps to place the entire Wascana Centre concept in the historical perspective of the 1800's when Regina was first chosen as the capital of the western territories.
1.5 kilometres 25 minutes
This walk begins in the parking lot beside
Across the lake to the north is the
Wascana Marina,one of
Wascana Centre's many facilities constructed to encourage recreation. During the summer it provides a boat launch.
2) On the southwest corner of Broad Street and Lakeshore Drive is the Wascana Centre Tree Nursery.The majority of the trees and some of the shrubs are grown and transplanted to projects throughout Wascana Centre. The nursery consists of 13 hectares of land which grow many species of plant materials that include: a) Trees - American Elm, Maple species, Pear species, Plum species, Mayday, Ornamental Crab species,Russian Olive, Hawthorn, Japanese Tree Lilac, Colorado Spruce, Poplar species, Shubert Chokecherry, Amur Chokecherry, Pine species, Siberian Larch, Linden species, Ash species, Paper Birch, Mountain Ash species, Pincherry, Bur Oak, Ohio Buckeye, Butternut, Willow species, Black Walnut (Wascana seedsource). b) Large Shrubs - Lilac species, Cotoneaster, Honeysuckle, Red Dogwood, Caragana, Buffaloberry,Common Sea Buckthorn, Highbush Cranberry and Wayfaring Tree.The trees and shrubs are all grown on a rotational basis that is part of the nursery management plan and is predetermined by the requirements of Wascana Centre’s tree inventory.
3) As you walk across to Pine Island you must reflect on the origin of this site. The Old Broad Street bridge was built here in 1908 and the height of the bridge allowed sailboats to pass underneath. In 1960 this bridge was replaced with the new bridge you can see to the east. In 2004 this area was transformed into an island with a beautiful waterfall cascading over the old bridge abutment, an overlook above the waterfall and a judging area forcompetitions. The deepest area of Wascana Lake is directly west of Pine Island. It was excavated in 2004 to a depth of 9m as a habitat that would encourage fish to overwinter. The average depth of Wascana Lake is 5m.
4) Moving off Pine Island the right hand path follows a curve down to Surveyor's Monument. This monument contains surveying artifacts representing Canada's first 100 years of exploration and development as a nation. These artifacts will be historically significant when the cairn is opened in 2067.
5) The red brick building to the south is the Wascana Rehabilitation Centre. It is a speciality hospital which emphasizes rehabilitation of the physically disabled and treatment of patients suffering from chronic conditions.
Across on the south side of the road is an information kiosk which provides visitors to Wascana Centre with general
public information concerning the City of Regina and more specifically, Wascana Centre.
7) The path leads past the Boy Scout Monument on the right. It was dedicated in 1965 to sixty years of Boy Scouting in Saskatchewan. The smaller cairns surrounding the large one are each engraved with a Boy Scout motto. The entire monument represents a sundial.
8) Spruce Island can be seen across the lake from the pathway along the shoreline. This island, along with Willow Island was built in the 1930's using the excavated dirt from the deepening of the lake. Both islands were expanded during the 2004 dig. Today Spruce Island is left in a natural state and serves as a bird sanctuary.
9) You are now in Lakeshore Park. It is one of the oldest and most popular barbecue areas in Wascana Centre. This is a wonderful spot to bring the family for an outing.
10) A central point in this picnic area is the totempole. It was given to the Province of Saskatchewan by the Government of British Columbia to commemorate their centennial year in 1971. It was carved by a member of the Nimkish Indian Band of Vancouver British Columbia.
11) This building houses the pump that takes water from the lake to irrigate the grounds along the south shore of the lake. The discharge pipe that is decorated with animals was designed to portray some of the characters in the story “A Better Place”. The children of Douglas Park school were asked to participate in the naming of this site and created the story. You can read the story “A Better Place” on the plaque at the front of the overlook.
12) Across the lake is the Wascana Racing Canoe Clubhouse and Canada Games Wascana Lake Centre.
13) In 1915 the Lakeshore Tennis Club was established for use by civil service employees and had four grass courts. By 1924 the increase in membership meant the addition of a fifth court and the surface of all courts was converted to crushed shale which was replaced by asphalt in 1959. The club underwent another change in 2004 with the addition of 3 more courts which were built to international specifications and used for the 2005 Canada Summer Games.The aesthetic atmosphere of Wascana provides a hide-a-way from busy city life. Every day hundreds of Reginians together with visitors from all overthe world use and enjoy Wascana Centre.