Goto

Wascana Park

I-Panels


 

 

Interpretive Panel:
Jewel of the City Wascana Centre

(Click on a picture for larger view)

The formal recreation of Wascana
Centre began when the University of
Saskatchewan decided to expand. Regina
College, which had become a junior college
of the University in 1925, matured into a
second full campus. It became apparent to
the University in 1959 that the Regina College
site was inadequate and that another location
for the new campus would have to be found. A
more suitable one, it was quickly determined,
was a parcel of land on Wascana Lake south-
east of the Broad Street Bridge. The provincial
government owned the property, but
had leased it to the federal government for an
experimental farm. Now, it was agreed, that
land would become a university campus. The
University and the provincial government
then came to another and more far-reaching
decision; to prepare a comprehensive plan for
the joint management and development of all
the land surrounding Wascana Lake.

 

Wascana Centre is the geographical area encompassing approximately 930 hectares (2300 acres), of which 120 hectares (300 acres) are water. Located in the heart of the city, it is one of the largest urban parks in North America. Within the boundaries of this green oasis are found the University of Regina, Saskatchewan Institute of Applied Science and Technology, the capital precint of the Government of Saskatchewan, a rehabilitation centre, numerous parks, and at the top of the list Wascana Lake. It houses the joe moran and Mackemzie Art Galleries, the Saskatchewan Centre of the Arts, the Kramer IMAX Theatre, the Saskatchewan Science Centre, a marina and the Royal Saskatchewan Museum. Wascana Centre is the cultural, re recreational and educational hub of Regina.

That task was entrusted to two American planners: Minoru Yamasaki an architect and Thomas D. Church a landscape architect. The appointment of Yamasaki was vital to the development of Wascana Centre-two months earlier he had been named master planner for Regina's new university campus. Thus Wascana Centre and what is now the University of Regina were created hand-in-hand. The master plan of "Yama" and "Tommy" contained one continual thread throughout; that is that the structures and landscape will be for "people."

 

The Wascana Centre Authority, the governing body of Wascana Centre, came into being in April 1962. It
consists of 11 members representing the three partners responsible for the development of the Centre
the Government of Saskatchewan (5), the City of Regina (3), and the University of Regina (3). Each partner
owns its own land and controls the rate of development on this land based on the current Wascana Centre
Master Plan. However, the Authority has the power to veto any development within the Centre. Wascana
Place, located just north of the Broad Street Bridge, is headquarters for the Authority. Over the years the
Wascana Centre Authority has maintained the ideal that Wascana Centre is "dedicated to the development of
the seat of government, the advancement of the cultural arts, the enlargement of educational opportunities,
the improvement of recreational facilities, and the conservation of the environment."

 

 

These sixteen interpretive panels were created for this promenade by Wascana Centre Authority

     Ken Dockhan CSLA/Design
     Ken Mac Murchy, 2M Graphics & Technology/Design and Graphic Production