Owens' Boat House
(Click on the picture for larger view)
The Owens' Boat House was located between what is now the Bandstand and Speaker's Corner.
It has had several names over the years, "Regina Boat Livery", "Boats & Canoes, Dance Hall", "Pavilion Boat House and Tea Room",
"Boat Livery", then finally "Owens' Boat House".
There was a boat house here since at least 1920 until 1950s. After being puchased by Albert Edward Owens in 1928 from Captain Hemman,
it remained in the Owens' family until 1952.
It was located on the lake, a gang plank being one of only two parts to contact the shore.
This resulted in a dispute over taxation as the water was claimed by the province and the land by the city.
An agreement was reached whereby the city would tax the two small areas that made contact with the shore.
"the building and the business could remain on the lake only so long as it remained in the family. When it didn't it was removed"
As well as boat rentals, and concession services, the boat house was the home of the Owens family, whom lived on the
There was also a skating rink and wooden built toboggan slides.
The Queen Mary, 1934? - 1952?, was a stern wheeled passenger boat. It broke away from her temporary mooring over by the old swimming beach
and was smashed against the rocks south-east corner of the Albert Memorial Bridge.
(Unless otherwise indicated, pictures by unknown)