Monuments and Memorials:
Wascana Waterfowl Park Monument
Located (2001) west of Wascana Hill.
(Click on the picture for larger view)
(Unless otherwise indicated, photos by Don of www.WascanaPark.com)
(The following information is as it appears on the monument
except that all text
is capitalized on the monument.)
Created originally in the
early 1880's as an artificial
lake for a permanent water
supply for local residents,
Wascana Lake was set aside in
1913 as a game preserve and was
created a bird sanctuary in 1956.
Banding of ducks in the marsh was
carried out by Ducks Unlimited in the
early 1940's and Canada Geese were
introduced in 1956. Commencing in 1960
young geese were transplanted to
selected areas in Saskatchewan and
Manitoba. The sanctuary became part of
the Wascana Centre in 1962.
Development of the prairie habitat to provide
much needed waterfowl nesting cover has been
made possible through funds provided by Ducks
The Wascana Centre, the Saskatchewan Department
of Natural Resources, the University of Saskatchewan
and the citizens of Regina and southern Saskatchewan
have given continuing support and financial assistance
to develop and maintain the Wascana Waterfowl Park as
a home for prairie wildlife and for the public to enjoy.
Erected by the Wascana Centre Authority July, 1971