Goto

Wascana Park

Monuments &
   Memorials

Speakers' Corner



Sept. 12, 2001


Jan. 20, 2004

 


Northwest Plaque
Sept. 12, 2001

Monuments and Memorials:
MAIN ENTRANCE

(Unless otherwise indicated, photos by Don of www.WascanaPark.com)

(Located in Speakers' Corner)
(Click on a picture for larger view)

(NORTHWEST PILLAR PLAQUE)

SPEAKERS' CORNER

THIS SPEAKERS' CORNER IS DEDICATED
TO THE PEOPLE OF SASKATCHEWAN, WHO,
IN THE COURSE OF THEIR SHORT HISTORY,
HAVE RECOGNIZED AND UPHELD THE
FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS OF FREE SPEECH AND
FREE ASSEMBLY.

THE LANTERNS ON THE ENTRANCE PILLARS
WERE PART OF THE CUMBERLAND SCREEN,
WHICH STOOD AT THE MARBLE ARCH
ENTRANCE TO LONDON'S HYDE PARK FROM
1907 TO 1960; THE LAMPS BORDERING THE
WALKS HAVE AN ASSOCIATION WITH THE
HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT AT WESTMINISTER;
THE BIRCH TREES CAME FROM RUNNYMEDE
WHERE, IN 1215, KING JOHN SET HIS SEAL
TO MAGNA CARTA.

THESE SYMBOLS OF FREEDOM ARE THUS
CONSTANT REMINDERS OF OUR HERITAGE
OF FREE SPEECH AND SELF-GOVERNMENT
UNDER OUR PARLIAMENTARY SYSTEM.

(Text on plaque)





Southwest Plaque
Jan. 20, 2004

(SOUTHWEST PILLAR PLAQUE)

SPEAKERS' CORNER

DEDICATED BY ADMIRAL OF THE FLEET THE
EARL MOUNTBATTEN OF BURMA, K.G., ON
TUESDAY, APRIL 12TH, 1966.

THE HYDE PARK LANTERNS WERE DONATED
BY MR. BASIL GLASS ON BEHALF OF THE
VANTONA TEXTILES LTD., ENGLAND.

THE KING EDWARD LAMPS WERE AQUIRED
FROM THE MINISTRY OF PUBLIC BUILDING
AND WORKS, LONDON.

THE SPEAKERS' PODIA ARE PORTIONS OF
THE CORNICES FROM THE FORMER REGINA
CITY HALL, 1908-1964.

THE BIRCH TREES WERE OBTAINED FROM
WINDSOR GREAT PARK THROUGH THE CROWN
ESTATE OFFICE.

SPEAKERS' CORNER WAS DESIGNED AND
BUILT BY THE WASCANA CENTRE AUTHORITY.

(Text on plaque)