Goto

Wascana Park

Monuments &
   Memorials


July 24, 2003


July 24, 2003

Monuments and Memorials:
Regina Boat Club Monument

Located between the Wascana Bandstand
and the Willow Island parking lot.

(Click on the picture for larger view)
(Unless otherwise indicated, photos by Don of www.WascanaPark.com)

(The following information is as it appears on the monument.)

REGINA
BOAT CLUB

THE REGINA BOAT CLUB WAS
ESTABLISHED ON THIS SITE IN
1907, PREDATING THE PLANTING
OF THE TREES AND THE CONSTRUCTION
OF THE LEGISLATIVE BUILDING. IT
HELD THE DISTINCTION OF BEING
THE FURTHEST INLAND ROWING CLUB
IN NORTH AMERICA AND THE BRITISH
COMMENWEALTH.

THE CLUBHOUSE WAS IMMEDIATELY REBUILT
AFTER IT WAS DEMOLISHED IN THE 1912
REGINA CYCLONE. IN 1947 THE CLUB MOVED
TO THE NORTH ISLAND IN WASCANA LAKE. IT
WAS DISBANDED IN 1962 AFTER 55 CONTINUOUS
YEARS OF ACTIVITY.

MEMBERS ENGAGED IN ALL FORMS OF AQUATIC
ENDEAVOUR, ESTABLISHING MANY NORTH WEST
INTERNATIONAL ROWING RECORDS. A REGINA CREW
OF FOUR WON TWO EVENTS AGAINST THE BEST ON THE
CONTINENT AT THE 1938 CANADIAN HENLEY.

ERECTED BY THE WASCANA CENTRE AUTHORITY AUGUST AUGUST 1971