(Click on the picture to goto that page)
A project of Wakamow Valley dedicated to the Plaxton family, which operated the first boat service on the Moose Jaw River.
While canoeing and rowing were popular summer events during Moose Jaw's early years, it was not until the turn of the Twentieth Century that commercial use of the river as a recreation resource was made. On July 1, 1902, Mr. George Percy Plaxton, or G.P. as he was called by friends, put the motorized launch named Edith into active service on the Moose Jaw River. By 1907, the Plaxton family business had grown to seven motor launches, twenty row boats and thirty-two canoes. Their business operated for twelve years from a finely laid out boathouse and boat storage area situated directly across the river by the CPR bridge.
The main focus of the Plaxton business was, without a doubt, the Edith. Named after a lifelong friend of the family, Miss Edith Vandermade, the Edith was built by the Racine Boat Manufacturing Company of Wisconsin and shipped in sections to Moose Jaw where it was assembled. Capable of carrying twenty-four passengers at a top speed of seven miles per hour, the launch was fitted with a bow to stern canopy with open sides, bow steering wheel, cushioned seats and a stern three and one-half horsepower gasoline engine. Offering daily summer excursions through River Park, normal charges for the round trip were fifteen cents for adults, twenty-five cents per couple and ten cents for children.
The Plaxton's also made use of the Edith to take special excursions to river and valley (Wellesley) parks, to lead flotillas of river craft on illuminated moonlight excursions and to compete in several river races. Typical of her special excursions was an illuminated parade led by the Edith on July 31, 1909. Loaded with her full compliment of passengers, the Edith towed a float carrying the band of the 16th Light Horse Regiment to River Park. Falling in behind were dozens of decorated boats and canoes all lit by Chinese lanterns, with further illumination provided by fireworks from the river banks.
In 1915, the Plaxton's decided to move their family home and business to Regina Beach. In that location, G.P., wife Lottie, son Leonard and Miss Vandermade operated a flourishing boat business until the 1940's.
It is to the memory of this family that the Plaxton's Lake project is officially