The following is from pages 3 to 5 of
McConnell Little Town Lost, 1982
(Click on Picture to Enlarge)
Ellenville School 1908
Back Row L. to R. - Dossie Cochrane, Edna Hogeland, Jennie Hogeland,
Flossie McConnell, Myrtle McConnell, Harvey McConnell, Wilf
Hogeland, Melzo Hogeland, Alex Baxter, Miss Fraser
Third Row - Bill Knight, Bill McConnell, Charlie McKay
Second Row - Margaret Scouten, Annie McConnell, Annie Knight,
Wilma Hogeland, Alice Hogeland, Edith Killoh, Roy Cochrane, Roy
McConnell, Jim Killoh
First Row - Isobel Hutchinson, Bert Moffat, Lizzie Killoh, Wilkinson
Cochrane, Gordon Killoh, George Baxter, Mervyn McConnell,
Norman Moffat, Bert Knight
ELLENVILLE SCHOOL #871
Ellenville was named after Ellen Leif, wife of the late Robert McConnell, whose father homesteaded
here in 1883. The school was situated on what is now #21 Highway, 8 miles north of Hamiota. A
Presbyterian Church was built first on the McConnell land NE1/4 20-15-23 around 1894. It was
used for a school for a couple of years, until a school was built across the road on NW corner
of 21-15-23 in 1896.
Some of the first pupils were Ida, Alvin and Floss McConnell, Sam Moffatt, Maud Thompson, Eva McLean
Horace Hogeland and Alice Richardson. The teachers were many, including Mr. Todd, Miss Hawthorne,
Miss Wilson, Mr. Gunning, Mr. Brown, Miss Robson, Miss Ross, Miss Bates, Mr. Blaine, Miss MacNutt,
Miss Fraser, Miss Crewson, Mr. Edwards, Mr. Bailey, Miss Winstone, Miss Kilpatrick, Miss Thornton,
Miss Fisher, Miss Simpson, Miss Sproat, Miss Wallace and Miss English.
After a few years of planning, the consolidated district of McConnell was formed in 1920.
Tom Hollatz, known as "Tom the Dutchman" moved the school to McConnell during the summer holidays
with his steam engine. This was the closing of all the one-roomed rural schools in the municipality
of Hamiota. Hamiota School was consolidated earlier.
No more walking to school. Most walked in summer or got a ride on the colder winter days. Some drove
their own horses, depending on the distance and age of the pupils. The church "shed" wasn't too warm
in cold weather as there weren't enough horses to keep it warm. The attendance varied over the years
from 32-12 and served up to Grade X. Lessons were taught and learned and all who passed through the
doors speak well of the good old days in school. Many games were played during noon and recess.
School hours were 9-4 in summer and 9:30 to 4 in winter.
The heating system in the early days consisted of a box stove with a drum attached. The fire was
usually lit by one of the older pupils in the morning and wood added as required during the day.
It took most of the forenoon to warm up on cold days. As there were no fountain pens or ball points,
the ink bottles were put on the drum to thaw.
The teacher kept a supply of ink, Spencerian penpoints, and copy books, and practicing writing
kept us busy.
The social life of the district centred around the school and church - Christmas concerts,
Ladies Aid, Patriotic Society, later Women's Institute and the "beef ring".
There was a Methodist Church built on the SE corner of 20-15-23, 1 mile south of the school.
Service was usually held at 11 A.M. and in the Presbyterian Church at 3 P.M. and Sunday School
before. Many families attended both churches and Sunday School. The Presbyterian Church was moved
to Shoal Lake by Beamishes and used as a class room for a year or so before being dismantled.
The Methodist Church was also moved to Shoal Lake and used as an office for the Shoal Lake Star.
In 1981 it is still in use.
When the McConnell School was enlarged the Ellenville School was no longer required, so it was sold
to Mr. Wes Gregory who moved it to Decker and they lived in it for many years. It had now been