A BRIEF HISTORY OF CRANDALL UNITED CHURCH
Pastoral Charge Pamphlet, 1955-2000)
The church of Crandall represents the hearts, minds, and wills of many,
who built a symbol of hope and Christian witness. Completed by 1900,
Crandall Church was firmly established as a community church:
Methodists, Presbyterians and Anglicans all worshipped and shared the
sanctuary of Crandall Church.
1925 saw the Union of Methodist, Presbyterian, Congregationalist and
United Evangelican congregations, forming the United Church of Canada.
As part of the United Church of Canada, Crandall also moved, along with
many other churches, to form Pastoral Charges. The Crandall
community, originally one of the many Methodist preaching stations,
eventually partnered with other churches in the area. First with Miniota,
and then later in 1955, Crandall joined with Oak River and Moline to be a
Since 1955, Crandall United Church has contributed significantly to the
growth and development of many people in their faith. There have been
countless people involved in different organizations and even two women
formerly of Crandall who were overseas missionaries. Today we not only
celebrate the building of this house of God, but also the family of God,
which has been nurtured in this place of worship.
Time brings change. Rural communities are not exempted. In fact once
thriving towns of yesterday have felt the effects of change much more so
than urban centres; that includes the rural churches and more specifically
Crandall United Church.
As indicated above in 1955, Crandall and Oak River congregations united
to form a pastoral charge. This has proven to have been a highly
satisfactory union from the standpoint of both church families. To this
day, there exists a true spirit of cooperation, consideration and mutual
respect one for the other. As a result many lasting friendships attest to the
high level of true Christian comradeship in evidence throughout the
pastoral charge relationship.
The Crandall congregation has always been happy and honoured to have
had the Oak River folks worshipping with them on several occasions in
past years. Today is certainly no exception. In fact, as this is the last
regular service to be held in Crandall Church (next Sunday will be our
100th anniversary service and official closure) it is of particular note that
this is a joint service. Crandall congregation extends a very warm and
cordial welcome to the folks from Oak River with special welcome to the
Oak River choir. That welcome also applies to all those who may be
visiting with us today.
We are indeed appreciative and grateful to all those who have so willingly
agreed to assist in this service today.
May the spirit of God move amongst and within us as we worship
together and also as we look forward to the next several days of true
Thanks to Rev. D. Morton and Rev. T. Delgaty for a brief history of the
life of Crandall Church.